Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 reasons why Green Lantern sucks.

1. Cary Guest

10 reasons why Green Lantern sucks.

ok so i went and bought this book back for like seven or eight issues, and also bought the GLC that far back as well because i wanted to be informed as to this whole light war mess before i really went off the deep end. and yeah, i hate it. and i'll tell you why with my list of ten reasons why GL sucks!

10. Hal Jordan. the dude is a tool. he single handedly tries wrecking the whole universe, dies and is reborn, and gets the ring back? hell at least Sinestro was honest and didn't keep changing sides all the time! you know what team he plays for on any given day! and yet old red face gets the death penalty, while Jordan gets off scott free. meh.

9. Guy Gardner. look, i hate this dude like there's no tomorrow. but when Guy is the best thing going for your title...you know your book sucks. biggest. dick. ever. and they say he'll end up being the greatest GL ever. yeah, that's a HUGE recommendation.

8. Guardians and random laws from nowhere. for a bunch of little orderly blue guys who say they want a good universe for all beings...they sure do cause a lot of unnecessary bullshit for the GLC and the rest of us. and the point would be...what? no one knows. and no one cares either.

7. John Stewart. LAME! the most indecisive and weak willed GL in the corps! and yet he's number 3 of 4 GL's assigned to sector 2814. why our backwater little planet needs 4 freaking GLs is beyond me, but this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast. sorta backwards in thinking.

6. the various rings/lantern colors. man. where have these things been all this time? suddenly we find out the Star Sapphires are lanterns? PLEASE! stop it! just...stop it. are we THAT far gone that we need this madness to bring us back to...something cool? i think not. and yet here we go with this dead end light war. hell the blue guys can't even survive without a GL near them! the hell! that's so dumb it just hurts! if i was a blue lantern i'd be PISSED!

5. Lethal force is authorized. wow. what a cool hero guy. he can kill with his bad ass ring now. that's about as lame as it gets. one of the cool things about the GL rings was the restrictions they had on them. now they can affect yellow, and they can kill. why not just make them all Kryptonians while you're at it and set them up on their own planet in opposite earth orbit...wait...they already did that. nevermind. but it still sucks.

4. boredom. dude. Kyle sits around talking for the ENTIRE issue about his art. dude, who cares? go...fight someone! or do something constructive! hell get that red chick naked for all i care, but do something!

3. did i mention how lame Hal Jordan is? cause he's sad in a big way. fact is the guy is played out. he was always flying on the edge anyway, and they've been back and forth at this Carol Ferris thing for like 40 years now and it's still not working. he never changes. even when he was the specter, he was still the same lame Hal. now...he's back as the old lame Hal. whining about Dad. whining about his lack of a life, or his issue this week. my vote is, flush his ass and start fresh. hell flush em ALL and start fresh for all i care! at least it would be worth seeing.

2. Ganthet. ok, so the one instance i'd like to see lethal force authorized is when dealing with that little puke. stab him!!

1. lack of mission. this is my biggest gripe. the GLC are supposed to be universal cops, right? so when 100,000 kryptonians show up in a particular sector of space and build a new world, causing all manner of problems for the rightful people of that sector...do the GLC show up and help out? do they mediate or even take a middling interest? nope. they can't be bothered. because they have this darkest night/emerald dawn/lightwar/whatever this week's weak event title is going on and are too busy to be bothered. can we get some Darkstars in the house??

2. MattGrant Guest

Hahah...

Cept I'm diggin lantern. I'm gonna go point for point with you... for no particular reason other than you were nice enough to number your rant--

10 - Hal was infected with the Paralax. So, technically, it wasn't Hal, it was Paralax. While Paralax, at the time, was just a name given to the "New" Hal, Geoff Johns retconed it into being the living embodiement of the yellow/fear spectrum, which had been stored in the main power battery, thus causing the "yellow impurity." The green version of this is called Ion, and was in Kyle, and currently is in Sodam Yat. During the Sinestro corpse war paralax also possessed Kyle, if you'll remember. Also, Hal somewhat redeemed himself when he re-ignited the sun that one time.

9 - I used to hate Guy, now I dig guy. But I can still see why folks wouldn't like him so no blame there.

8 - Agreed. "Since time immortal.." they should have all the laws written already.

7 - Never been much of a Stewart fan myself. Techinically, I think that back-up lanterns should at least be from different planets, but Stewart has been around for a long time, and the previous back up, Guy, was also from earth. Technically, now, Guy and Kyle are honor guard, so I guess they're not totally associated with 2814? I dunno.

6 - I'm diggin the spectrum thing myself. Though it runs the risk of being over done. When I read re-birth, and got the fear/yellow concept. That was cool. I also dig the sinestro corpse as villians... Particularly lately with Mongul.

5 - Agreed. I think it shouldn't have been a restriction to begin with, though. Lanterns are chosen for the merit of their character. Such restrictions shouldn't be made. That's like giving a cop rubber bullets.

4 - Agreed!

3 - I'm less about Hal and more about the Corps as a whole. So i semi-agree. I'm okay with Hal being there, but I think we've heard a LOT about his story... Why don't we ever hear about Kilowog growing up? I enjoyed reading Sodam Yat's whole back story... I'm all about the aliens!

2 - I thought the whole concept of giving guardians individuality was lame from the get go. Starting with Ganthet. Its key to the story now, but contradicts what I'd like to see as the guardians being a group 5 (or howevermany) blue dudes that all look the same and agree with each other.

1 - I agree. They micro manage in one area and let stuff go in others. I mean, i can dig the idea of the two stories operating in separate continuities, but then, they don't. Maybe they feel bad about Tomar Re letting Krypton blow up in the first place, or never tracking down/stopping Brianiac all those years while he blew up planet after planet-- maybe they feel like they owe it to the Kryptonians. That would be an easy out, they might as well put it in there... Cept it wouldn't make sense because the authoritative reps from the sector are all from EARTH--

Sheesh, why haven't the lanterns had access to the Phantom Zone for that matter?!?!?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... so much fun.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the fact that there are now all sorts of different color lantern corps. The Star Sapphires are a little weird yes... kind of reminds me of that nerd from Captain Planet who's ring was "Heart", but meh...

The Blue Lantern's reasoning behind their power only working when along side a Green Lantern makes sense. Hope is pretty useless if you don't have the will power to do something about your situation.

The Red Lanterns, the Sinestro Corps, and the Blue Lanterns have my official seal of approval. I haven't seen much else of the other colored Corps yet. The Orange Lantern Corps is coming next issue though, so we'll see how they turn out.

GLC has been so-so the last couple of issues, but that last issue with the Arkillo vs Mongul fight was pretty cool. And Sodam Yat squaring off againts Mongul next issue looks like it could be good.

I was never really much of a fan of Hal Jordan before he "died", but now that he's back he's kind of growing on me.

As far as the GLC fighting off the possible threat of the Kryptonian's... as far as I know, they haven't made any hostile actions or called for war against the people of earth have they? The GLC can't deny the citizens of New Krypton the right to exist, so what exactly are they supposed to be doing about New Krypton?

You would think that after all this time the Oans would've figured out these laws by now, what works and what doesn't but it gives the story more ways to go. I think some of the things kind of make you raise an eyebrow a little, (like the Star Sapphire's being female Oans) but it's nothing that blatently goes against continuity as far as I can tell. I think Ganthet is pretty cool, but somebody needs to stab that Scar character. Little goth freak that he is.

I'm not sure how I feel about the restictions on the rings. On one hand it was cool to see how they overcame the restrictions to get the job done, but I like how John's explained what caused the yellow impurity. Sometimes cops have to kill, so it makes sense that the GLC should be able to kill if they have to. I think some of them have taken it overboard of course, but if they haven't been weeded out of the Corps by now, I'm thinking they probably will be soon.

4. MattGrant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSykora View Post
    As far as the GLC fighting off the possible threat of the Kryptonian's... as far as I know, they haven't made any hostile actions or called for war against the people of earth have they? The GLC can't deny the citizens of New Krypton the right to exist, so what exactly are they supposed to be doing about New Krypton?
    First and foremost, there should have at least been an attempt to extradite Brainiac into Oan custody. Now that we have the low down (aka retcon) on what he's really about, it should have come out that the Guardians were at least looking for him for all those years.

As far as the rising tensions between the two planets. Yeah, I would think that there's not much really happening. The GLC seems to be more reactionary than preventative as far as interventions go. Which is probably best, the Guardians and the GLC are not a governing body, but a peace force. Maybe the situation needs to be aknowledged?

Frankly, I don;t mind the stories being separate right now. The problem with continuity is you always have to account for everything.

I think Ganthet is pretty cool, but somebody needs to stab that Scar character. Little goth freak that he is.
    Isn't scar a chick?

I'm not sure how I feel about the restictions on the rings. On one hand it was cool to see how they overcame the restrictions to get the job done, but I like how John's explained what caused the yellow impurity. Sometimes cops have to kill, so it makes sense that the GLC should be able to kill if they have to. I think some of them have taken it overboard of course, but if they haven't been weeded out of the Corps by now, I'm thinking they probably will be soon.
    I dug the yellow impurity when it was in place. I also dug the explanation, though, too. Limitations can be cool, though.

I don't think that there ever should have been a lethal force restriction, and frankly, I don't remember it ever being referenced before it was lifted. I think for the Sinestro Corps War to work, though, they needed an explanation why it would be okay for lanterns to fight lethally to that level.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattGrant View Post
    Isn't scar a chick?
    If she/he is, that kind of shoots holes in the Oan females being Star Sapphires theory. LOL

I don't read Superman, so I'm not even really all that informed on the ongoings of this New Krypton except for what I hear from other people, so...

6. MattGrant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSykora View Post
    If she/he is, that kind of shoots holes in the Oan females being Star Sapphires theory. LOL

I don't read Superman, so I'm not even really all that informed on the ongoings of this New Krypton except for what I hear from other people, so...
    Well when they show the history retcon of the Star Sapphires, they show a group of female Oan defectors. (somehow they got really tall and stuff, never quite got that bit) That much is true.

But there are still female Oans that didn't defect, though the whole concept of female Oans is relatively new, I beleive.

Check it out: aside from Scar, there's Sayd, Ganthet's wife/girlfriend. They fell in love and got ejected from the guardians, to start the Blue Lanterns.
    ------

It turns out that Brainiac was stealing cities from every intelligent planet he encountered, shrinking them, and keeping them to absorb their knowledge. But, once he took the cities, he'd blow up the planets (ie - Krypton), to make their knowledge more valuable.

He ought to be pretty high on the Guardian's most wanted list.

7. Cary Guest

well yeah he should! you'd think they'd have half the GLC out looking for his green ass! not to mention even a reactionary force should be able to see tensions boiling at this point. not to mention a couple of kryptonians are gonna be able to wipe the whole planet out if they aren't corralled here soon! what bugs me the most is they don't even mention it in passing or send an observer even. and you have Guy and John who are busy with GLC business, Kyle who can't see past that skirt of his new girlfriend, and Hal...and i really don't know what Hal is doing right now. but none of the 2814 GLs are taking care of local business i can tell you THAT much!

i will say that i did like the Mongul fight, and how all the yellow lanters were rooting for the other guy till he fell. cracked me up. some great pacing there for that fight i thought. now how the hell does mongul get to wear more than one ring? that's more than a little confusing.

seems to me from what's been going on in GL that Hal is about to be a blue/green hybrid type dude. maybe they'll call him...Turquoise lantern?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Well with Blackest Night coming up, I think they're a little pre-occupied, so I doubt we'll see them fighting off any Kryptonian threats but you never know.

Mongul gets his rings from Sinestro Corps members he's killed, but now that you mention it, I thought the rings found a new person who was worthy of the ring.... not sure how Mongul got to lay claim to more than one without them flying away looking for a suitable "host". Ohhhhhhh.. that would be a twist... the rings are sort of sentient... what if they're sort of symbiant in nature but could make decisions on their own or influence a lantern's decision??

9. MattGrant Guest

hmmm?

10. Cary Guest

i just can't wait to see Hal Jordan dressed out in a panzy star sapphire purple outfit. at that point...it'll all be worth it.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast