Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Gold Standard: DAN JURGENS Interview Part I

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gold Standard: DAN JURGENS Interview Part I

Welcome to THE GOLD STANDARD! A multi-part interview, multi-parts because the interview itself was slightly over one hour of phone conversation. What you see here is the first 15 minutes! Oh, yeah.
    In part one of my interview with Dan Jurgens, comic talent extraordinaire and creator of BOOSTER GOLD, we discuss, among other things, his returning the hit series as both writer and artist, Booster's motivation, Batman's deductions, Michelle "GOLD STAR" Carter's return, Ted Kord, and, the mysterious silhouetted Epilogue Page from Booster One Million.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DanJurgens-1.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	891SEBASTIAN PICCIONE: How are you doing, Dan?

DAN JURGENS: Very good, very good.

SEB: Excellent, excellent. Now, to the delight of myself and fanboys across the world, I’d imagine, it has been announced that you are going to be returning as both writer and artist to your creation, BOOSTER GOLD.

DAN: Right.

SEB: Ok, so, 22 years after the original series, you’re back on your boy. Did you have a desire to return to Booster Gold, or with the whole resurgence in 52 and the first year of the series, did it just kind of come about?

DAN: No, I think there was always a bit of desire, at various points. Now certainly, even if you go back to the days when I was doing SUPERMAN, I did a couple of stories with Booster, and I would touch on him from time to time in various spots. And, I know that even going back, oh, probably three or four years ago, Dan Didio and I had talked about some kind of Booster Gold project. So, I think it was always in the back of my mind, that I might end up on the character again, but I never really knew for sure how that would come about, or how we would actually make it play out. And then, you know, it was one of those situations where I think 52 really changed everything, because it sort of provided a blue print in a way…or, maybe instead of a blue print, I should say set-up, for what Jeff Katz and Geoff Johns and the rest of us could do with Booster.

SEB: It’s been great, by the way. Now, I know in previous interviews, you’ve said that the only thing that ever upset you was when he was written like an actual idiot.

DAN: Yeah, you know, I think there were times when that went too far. And, I’m not speaking so much of the Justice League stuff, because I know the way I look at Booster, and Blue Beetle, and the whole Justice League thing, is that we had to kind of be able to read, I think, JLA for a time with..uh..kind of knowing that Keith [Giffen] was winking at us, when he was doing the book.

SEB: [Laughs] Yeah.

DAN: And, that was just fine by me. But there were other times when Booster was written as an idiot, which he never was. I mean, he might make questionable decisions, he might not always do the right thing, but he was never an idiot.

SEB: Yeah. The way you’ve written Booster, even back in the ’86 series, he’s always been a hard-luck case. He’s always had the kind of luck that could make Peter Parker say “Thank God, I’m not THAT guy!” Even now, he saves the multiverse and can’t tell anyone, but even before that, he’d always be the one to accidently do the right thing, or does the right thing and everyone assumes he’s doing the wrong thing. So, what is it that, even before this revamp, what is that is that spark that’s kept Booster doing what he does?

DAN: Do you mean in sort of the fictional sense, in his own mind..

SEB: Or both, actually, what is it in his mind, and what is it in your mind?

DAN: Well, I think with Booster, it’s important to know that, first of all, let’s roll it back just a little bit. When we talk about some of the hard luck that came his way, I think it would be important to know that he would be responsible for some of that as well. For example, let’s say that we had a situation where there was a tremendous fir that had broken out in a brownstone, somewhere in the city. So, you know, most guys, if we’re talking about superheroes, most guys would just charge off, and perform the rescue mission, and, theoretically put out the fire, and everything would be taken care of. Booster would be more likely to, on the way there, place that call to a couple of media sources to say, you know, “Booster Gold is on the way, you might want to come film it, “ and that kind of thing, but that delay might have cost him the ability to save much of the building from fire as any other hero would have. So, I think that we do have to recognize that he got in his own sometimes. In terms of what kept him interesting is that what often isn’t recognized is that, yeah on the surface, we all know, Booster like the fame, and the money, and the glory, that could come with doing the job the way he did it. He would just be one to say, “So, I take a few bucks from a corporate sponsor, so what? I’ll still do the job,” but he liked the fame and the money that went with it. But, deep down, he also wanted to do the right thing. You know, Booster was never a totally crass individual who would walk past the opportunity to do the right thing. He would just be the type of individual who was incredibly opportunistic, and would like to capitalize on it. So, yes, he wants to do the right thing. In terms what keeps Booster, I think, fun for us, is that it’s a bit of a different breed. And as things get increasingly darker, the idea of reading a book that has a sort of a sense of fun to it, while at the same time tells a kind of a rollicking, high adventure, type story, especially one that can go back in time and show you some of your favorite DC moments, makes it a little bit different from anything else on the stands.

SEB: Yeah, it definitely is. And along with that motivation, I just want to see what you think of this, I had written, with my questions – just in my notes to myself – that the sense I had always gotten reading Booster…..and, uhm..just so you know, Booster Gold…..my father was always a DC Comics guy, I was always I Marvel kid.

DAN: Ok.

SEB: He’d always bring me to comic conventions, and he’d be buying comics that he remembered as a kid, like Jimmy Olsen, and Superman’s Girlfriend, Lois Lane, and he’d always try and get me to read some of the new DC books. In fact, I remember at the time there was a pin “DC Comics aren’t just for kids.”

SEB: But, at the comic store that we used to go to, there was a little blue pin, that they gave out for free one time, that said “Go for gold, BOOSTER GOLD”

DAN: Oh yeah!

SEB: Booster Gold was the comic that got me into DC.

DAN: Ok.

SEB: It started with a number one, I could pick it up, it was very…80’s.. it was what got me into the DCU, since it was in Metropolis, you had the Superman stories, and the Action Comics crossover, and from there you accomplished what my father spent years trying to do, [laughs]

DAN: [Laughter]

SEB: ..which was to pull me into the DCU.

DAN: Well, that’s great.

SEB: So, He [Booster] has always been right up there as a favorite of mine, and the sense that I…well, I won’t so always got, because I doubt I thought of it on this level as a kid, but in retrospect, I guess, I always felt that he..you know, he always talks about quitting. There’s always that scene where he throws the flight ring down, you know, he’s constantly taking of goggles and throwing and giving up, “That’s it, I’ve had it. Everyone thinks I’m a joke! I’m sick of this, ba-ba-ba…,” and normally with the end of that speech, or at least by the end of whatever issue he’s quitting in, something happens and he’s right back in there. And, I always got this sense that even he has fooled himself, like he thinks that he IS the shallow fortune and glory seeker pretending to be a hero, but it’s more that, and even more so now, after 52 and everything, that he’s more the hero pretending even to himself, that he’s a shallow fortune and glory seeker.

Name:	scan22.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	889DAN: Well, actually, that’s very true. I know that, for example, I think that one of the things we can see is that if we take all of us, let’s say we each were take a group of six friends that you have, and if you hang out with them individually they’re one thing, but as soon as you put them in a group, some personality traits become magnified, and they become something…everybody starts to put on more of a face in terms of how they want to be perceived. And I think, it’s safe to say, especially within the context of the Justice League and the other heroes hanging around, that Booster kind of puts on a bit of a face. Or, we could even say he lives down to expectations, and that’s where I thought that Geoff and Jeff did a really, really nice job handling the sequence with Batman, where he essentially figures out exactly what Booster is up to. He kind of says, “I know I’m not Ted Kord, but, you know, if you need somebody to talk to, I’m here.” Which, I thought, was really nice.

SEB: Yeah, it was a great touch.

DAN: You know, Batman’s the one guy who’s got him figured out.

SEB: Yeah, that was one of the questions I was going to ask. It seems like in the end of that last arc, Booster finally gets a break. When Batman, of all people, comes to you and says, “Look, Booster, I know you’re not an ass! If you need to talk about it, that’s great. Come here,” also, that part before it where he said, “So, let them think you’re an idiot. Do what you have to do, so long as it’s working and you’re saving the world, then who cares.”

SEB: For Batman to say, “You’re doing it right,” that’s got to be, if you’ll pardon the pun, a real boost to the ego.
    DAN: Yes. It’s validation, and I think that if you get that validation from either Batman or Superman, then you’re getting from the ultimate source, and that becomes the fuel that keeps you going.

SEB: And I imagine Batman would be the harder of the two to get approval from.

DAN: Right, exactly.

SEB: Also, how is having Michelle back, how is the return of Booster’s sister going to affect, not just the dynamic of the comic itself, but, you know, Booster’s outlook and motivation?

Name:	Goldstar02.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	896DAN: I think one of the things it can do for him, is it kind of helps provide that presence for him, that I think does help him, I think… now, I want to say stay on the straight and narrow, but that’s not quite – that helps him stay focused. I do think that Booster sort of functions best when he has that sort of voice behind him that says, Now, now Booster, are you sure that’s REALLY what you want to be doing?” You know? And in many ways I think Ted kind of fulfilled that function. I think Rip can at times, but Rip isn’t quite the constant that Michelle is. So, I think to have that, that one presence there, you know, and Skeets can do it, but Booster just is flat out not going to listen to him. So, I think to have that one presence, I think she is really the one person left that can say, “Is this really what you want to do? Or, do you maybe just want to NOT call CNN on your way to the, you know, the nuclear detonation that’s about to happen?”

SEB: [laughs] you would think, with all their capabilities, that at this point, Skeets would have CNN and 911 on speed-dial.

DAN: MM-Hmm.

SEB: Also, you mentioned that Ted had filled that role, I have to ask, because Ted was right up there with Booster, in my, and in many people’s minds. It’s always been Blue-and-Gold, Blue-and-Gold, Blue-and-Gold. Anything you can hint at, or crush me with, as far as that Epilogue page to Booster One Million?

DAN: [Laughs] You mean the one that everybody wants the answer to?

Name:	BG-BM.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	897SEB: Yeah.

DAN: I could, But I won’t. [laughs]

SEB: On the one hand, Just so that I can look cool when this interview comes out, I will say that I DID get an answer from Jeff Katz, I’m just not brave enough to mention it. [more laughter]

DAN: Oh, Ok. Ok.

SEB: Because I speak with him a lot, or by speak, I should borderline say, I harass him online, but he’s always been nice enough to talk back to me, so that’s good.
    But anything either way there, or is this a “wait-and-see”?

DAN: A wait and see….., well, let’s put it this way, are going to revisit that? Yes. Is it going to happen in the next five months? No. There are certainly some things that we have in mind that, uhm, it’ll play out, it’ll play out. It wasn’t...it CERTAINLY wasn’t a throw away scene! It was meant to sort of intrigue people, and I think that it certainly did that.

SEB: Oh, I’d say that it definitely did. In fact, it intrigued me so much that keep hitting Spencer Beck’s Artist’s Choice page, ‘cause I’m waiting to see that one posted!

DAN: Oh, Ok. [Laughs]

SEB: [laughter]

DAN: No, I haven’t gotten any of those pages back yet, but if they do get back, I’m sure it’ll show up there.

SEB: Excellent.

TO BE CONTINUED....
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 03:36 AM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I was just hitting the site to post a review, and saw how this thread was doing. As I write this, the interview has 52 views.

Being as sad and pathetic as I am, that made me happy.

CAT. 5

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Seb! I can't wait to read part's two and three!

4. soyblitz Guest

Wow!! I was really looking foward for an interview like this. Both Michelle and Batman's role on Booster's life was something I've had running everywhere inside my head.

Thanks for trying to get some info on our favorite Bwahahaha. It was worth the shot.

I personally enjoyed comics like "i cant believe its not the justice league" or "Formerly known as the Justice League" Where Booster played the role of the local idiot. It was fun to see a comic where heroes just hanged out with their friends and, although the fate of the world was on their hands, they could act goofy and be at ease. Ofcourse, I completely agree that this is not who Booster is, but it was a good way to close his days in the JLI where everyone remembers him for the casio island fiasco.

I can't wait for the rest of the interview. Thanks for sharing.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Soyblitz! Glad you liked it! Thanks for checking us out!

CAT. 5

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

CAT. 5

7. Smeets Guest

booster interview seb!

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Thanks Bob.
    You realize, outside of our studio, people will only half get your pun, right?

CAT. 5

9. Smeets Guest

I thought it was appropriate as both a general pun and the deeper message of what booster means to you

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Good call, Bob.

Now go finish designing my characters, so we can publish my stuff, and I can interview you about how cool it is to work with me! :cool:

CAT. 5

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast